PeopleForBikes is committed to addressing climate change and supporting sustainability within the bike industry. We have long advocated that the bike is a fundamental tool for global sustainability efforts and recent studies are backing up these claims:
- Just a 15 percent shift to electric bicycles in Portland would cut greenhouse gas emissions by 12 percent according to StreetsBlog USA.
- Choosing to ride a bike saves 250g/km CO2 compared to a car.
We know sustainability is important.
Many PFB supporters are mindful of company values and initiatives when deciding which product to purchase. In a recent survey, 36% of our supporters consider a company’s climate action initiatives when purchasing a product. Although not all PFB supporters actively inform themselves on a company’s initiatives and values, about three-quarters (74%) would be willing to pay more for a product made by a company that has committed to take action on climate change, as opposed to a company that hasn’t made such a commitment. A city with more cycling is a city with healthier people, safer streets, cleaner air and better connectivity. Likewise, a business with more sustainable policies is a business with better resilience, stronger relationships, and greater value in the future reality of climate change.
To address these pressing issues surrounding climate change and sustainability, in the last six months we:
- Created the PeopleForBikes Sustainability Working Group
- Established a Restricted Substances List Task Force
- Hosted an Environmental Defense Fund Fellow to assess our Sustainability Working Group member needs, create a forthcoming toolkit for brands to pick up and start on sustainability and provide recommendations for moving forward
- Partnered with the Outdoor Industry Association (OIA) to offer the Climate Action Corps to all PeopleForBikes Coalition Members
Climate Action Corps Partnership with the Outdoor Industry Association (OIA)
As a PeopleForBikes Coalition member, without having to join OIA, you receive the OIA member price for joining the Climate Action Corps. Companies that join commit to measure, plan and reduce their greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and share their progress annually. LEARN MORE
PeopleForBikes Sustainability Working Group
The PeopleForBikes Sustainability Working Group advances tactical initiatives to achieve environmental, health and corporate sustainability goals for the bike industry and its partners. LEARN MORE
PeopleForBikes Restricted Substances Task Force
The Restricted Substances List (RSL) Task Force is concentrated on compiling a RSL to affect the supply chain and global management of restricted substances related to hard goods in the bike industry. Currently, member organizations are discussing the organization of the list and researching chemical standards that must be included.
If you are a PeopleForBikes member and are interested in joining the Sustainability Working Group, or the Restricted Substances List Task Force, please let us know by contacting [email protected].
On September 9, 2020 we hosted our first sustainability-focused webinar. You can watch the recording here.