Title: Manager, Federal Affairs – PeopleForBikes Coalition
Location: Washington, D.C.
The PeopleForBikes Coalition is seeking a full-time manager of federal affairs whose primary responsibility will be monitoring, tracking, and advocating for policies in key sectors, including infrastructure, transportation, public lands, tax, environment and trade. Additionally, this person will assist in managing relationships with Capitol Hill, federal agencies, the White House, and partner organizations.
The PeopleForBikes Coalition is the U.S. bicycle industry association that works to unite millions of Americans, thousands of businesses, and hundreds of communities to make bicycling better for everyone. PeopleForBikes works to increase government bike project investments, improve bike infrastructure and related policy, support bike industry initiatives, award grants to support innovative local bike projects, promote bicycling and its benefits, and back crucial local and state bicycling initiatives. We are a member-based organization whose constituents consist of companies in the bicycle industry and 1.3 million grassroots supporters.
This position supports the implementation of PeopleForBikes’ aggressive and comprehensive legislative and regulatory agenda, which includes outreach to policymakers and staff, research and analysis, document production (letters, formal comments, talking points, one-page summaries, handouts, etc.), and constant monitoring of policy developments.
The ideal candidate will be able to focus on a diverse range of policy issues, become well-versed in the policy portfolio, and leverage strong organizational skills to provide the broader public policy team with timely information on developments, and relevant research and analysis.
Our desired qualifications include:
- Excellent Writing Skills – The ability to write clearly and concisely, including the skill to condense public policy language into terms that non-experts can easily understand.
- Strong Communication Skills – The ability to communicate to both large groups and individuals around often complicated policy issues.
- Bipartisanship – A willingness to engage with all policymakers and staff, including those that stand in opposition to the PeopleForBikes agenda.
- Research and Analysis – The ability to perform comprehensive research and policy analysis, including federal regulations, legislation and legislative histories, committee reports, and public laws.
- Strong Organizational Skills – This position will involve a significant amount of multi-tasking, project management and tracking. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated and able to jump seamlessly from one project and topic area to another.
- A Love for Bikes – PeopleForBikes is a dynamic non-profit that operates like a business. We are a fun group of hardworking professionals who also love bikes, and the ideal candidate will too.
Responsibilities of this position include:
- Attending and representing PeopleForBikes at regular coalition meetings and hearings to forward the bike industry policy agenda and drive key platform initiatives.
- Supporting Signal Group DC in policy development, strategy, and meetings.
- Managing a federal Political Action Committee.
- Coordinating conference calls and meetings will stakeholders, partner organizations, and PeopleForBikes members.
- Participating in regular updates (by phone and in writing) to highlight the work our organization does in Washington, DC.
- Developing regular written reports and memos on policy developments and activities related to advancing the PeopleForBikes agenda.
- Regular travel will be required.
- Other duties, as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have 2-4 years of experience with advocacy, lobbying, or related policy work. Experience on Capitol Hill or implementing policy initiatives at another industry trade association is highly desirable.
Compensation and benefits: This “at will” full-time employee position offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience, as well as a generous benefits package.
To apply: Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter via email with “Manager, Federal Affairs” in the subject line to [email protected].
The position will remain open until filled. Telephone inquiries will not be accepted. Interested applicants are encouraged to visit PeopleForBikes.org for more general information and organizational background. PeopleForBikes Coalition is an equal opportunity employer.