Title: Vice President of the Business Network — PeopleForBikes Coalition
Location: Boulder, CO
Industry: Bicycle Industry Nonprofit
Employment and Classification: “At will” employment status; full-time position
PeopleForBikes works to unite millions of Americans, thousands of businesses and hundreds of communities to make every bike ride safer, more accessible and more fun. Our mission is to put more people on bikes more often and make every bike ride better for everyone.
The PeopleForBikes Coalition Trade Association
The PeopleForBikes Coalition 501(c)(6) is the national bicycle business trade association representing companies that manufacture, supply and distribute bicycles, bicycle parts and accessories. Nationwide, PeopleForBikes represents 280 supplier members, more than 1,100 Ride Spot retailer members and 1.3 million individuals. The U.S. bicycle industry contributes $88 billion annually to the U.S. economy and supports more than 780,000 jobs.
The role of our PeopleForBikes trade association is to:
- Foster the growth of the bicycle industry and create a favorable business environment through thought leadership, advocacy, research and member engagement.
- Educate and engage federal, state and local decision-makers on legislative and regulatory issues that benefit the bike industry and bike riders.
- Serve as the leading source of research, data and analysis about the bike industry.
- Provide continuing education, networking and partnership opportunities.
- Convene industry committees that handle special topics around electric bicycles, data and statistics, legal issues, marketing/events, diversity, equity and inclusion, and sustainability.
- Serve as a clearinghouse for information on legislation and regulation affecting the industry.
- Partner with other trade associations and coalitions.
PeopleForBikes is hiring a Vice President of the Business Network
The Vice President of the Business Network will lead our trade association to create an environment where bicycling and bike business thrives. They will foster an informed, inclusive and networked industry membership with proactive programming and policy. The Vice President serves on the senior management team, reports to the CEO and manages the already robust federal, state and local government relations and policy team.
- Manage all aspects of the Business Network, including building and supporting the existing and robust Business Network team, leading prioritization and providing resource allocation.
- Develop the comprehensive goals, strategies and work plans for the Business Network.
- Oversee the government relations and policy team: leverage industry knowledge to engage the industry in issue advocacy, assess and meet members’ policy needs and manage industry responses.
- Benchmark to ensure a modern, data and technology-driven trade association with best-in-class services and programming.
- Create and implement industry continuing education, networking opportunities and events programs.
- Work with industry leaders and staff to evolve, expand and improve all aspects of our business intelligence, data insights and analytics.
- Directly support the Bicycle Product Suppliers Association Trade Association Committee (BPSA TAC), oversee the management of the BPSA TAC Subcommittees, and present work to the Coalition Board of Directors and senior leadership team.
- Engage and develop close working relationships with members of the bike industry through a variety of in-person and online tactics to ensure that the priorities of member companies are reflected in organizational programs and policy initiatives.
- Recruit and include industry representatives to the BPSA TAC and Subcommittees; our goal is to have a membership with a diversity of personal and professional experiences that reflect the populations we serve.
- Collaborate with the Marketing and Communications team to strengthen membership communications.
- Lead the bike industry in implementing PeopleForBikes’ diversity, equity, and inclusion action plan.
- Increase industry involvement and engagement in PeopleForBikes Foundation programming.
- Work with the senior management team to develop partnerships with non-endemic industries and coalitions to further our mission and goals.
- Assist PeopleForBikes Director of Membership and Industry Engagement in recruiting and retaining coalition members.
- Other duties as assigned by the CEO.
- Executive-level experience developing and implementing strategies and managing teams.
- Experience in or knowledge of an outdoor, bike, consumer goods or similar business.
- Understanding of manufacturing, sourcing and supply chain activities.
- Demonstrated ability to influence and engage a broad and diverse array of members, cultivate industry partnerships and build long-term relationships.
- Experience in performance management and facilitation.
- Inclusive leadership style and the ability to interface with external partners and people with diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
- Ability to effectively handle multiple, complex tasks and solve problems.
- Willingness to perform moderate travel to attend meetings, conferences, training and site visits.
- PeopleForBikes will consider alternative ways that an applicant may have gained the required qualifications, outside of traditional pathways.
- College degree, all majors considered; experience can be substituted.
- Knowledge of and/or former membership in a trade association.
- Understanding of federal, state and local policy in relation to business.
- Experience in event design and implementation.
- Experience managing contracts, grants and business relationships.
- The ability to self-direct, work independently (including from a remote office with remote employees), comfortably juggle multiple projects and work on tight timelines.
Compensation and Benefits
This “at-will” position offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience. The salary range is $110,000 – $140,000. PeopleForBikes offers an excellent and comprehensive benefits package. This includes paid health insurance for employees, a generous paid-time-off (PTO) policy including 22 days plus federal holidays, paid parental leave, flexible work schedule including work from home options, and optional participation in a deferred compensation retirement plan, with immediate vesting of the competitive employer match. In addition, we provide long-term disability insurance, a regional public transportation pass, a cell phone plan, along with other benefits.
At PeopleForBikes, our agreed-upon set of team norms is what drives us to do our best every day we show up to work. We strive to build and strengthen our team, we work together effectively through our nimble and entrepreneurial spirit to serve our mission and we have fun. Beyond that, we’re casual, we work flexibly with some remote work allowed and we love dogs. You don’t have to be an amazing bike rider to work here — what matters to us is a desire to work alongside passionate people improving the world through bikes.
- Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter in one, single PDF file, via email, with “VP Business Network” in the subject line to the PeopleForBikes Chief of Staff, at [email protected].
- The cover letter should be no longer than one page, and briefly explain the candidate’s applicable experience including working with people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
- Due to volume, we will not respond to telephone or in-person inquiries.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- The position is available immediately and will remain open until the position is filled.
- Interested applicants are encouraged to visit PeopleForBikes.org for general information and organizational background.
Our work to create safer, more comfortable and more accessible places for everyone to ride starts with us. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to hiring a diverse workforce. We want our staff to be reflective of the backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives of the communities we serve and to create an inclusive work environment where employees and the communities we serve feel welcomed, valued, respected, and received. We believe that no matter who you are, where you’re from, or why you ride, everyone can find joy on a bicycle.