Resources for Building Places for Bikes
RESOURCES FOR BUILDING PLACES FOR BIKES
- Better Bicycling, Better Business: A Guide for Retailers: To get more people riding — and buying — bikes, we need better places to ride. This guide shares stories from experienced bicycle retailers showing how they have helped advance bike projects and connected their customers with the best places to ride.
- Effective Study Tours – Turning Inspiration Into Action: Written by Zach Vanderkooy and Meredith Glaser, the pros behind our study tours. It combines the theory of study tours (complete with academic citations) with specific examples of how study tours have led to change here in the United States.
- Quick Builds For Better Streets – A New Project Delivery Model for U.S. Cities: Researched and co-written by Jon Orcutt, policy director of the New York City Department of Transportation from 2007 to 2014, it’s built on interviews with staff in eight leading cities to create a practical list of nine things cities need for a program that completes what we’re calling “quick-build” projects.
- Building Equity – Race, Class and Protected Bike Lanes: An idea book for fairer cities. With interviews, a survey of international best practices and usfeul data for planners and advocates. Email [email protected] for print copies.
- Protected Bike Lanes Mean Business: Case studies on how 21st centrury transportation networks help new urban economies boom. Printed copy $10 (or $5 if you pay for shipping) available here.
- Selling Biking: A first-of-its-kind quantitative and qualitative study on the messages and images that make people feel good about bicycling.
- Explain Your Lane: This resource guide illustrates key ways to incorporate communications and outreach into the planning, implementation and post-implementation phases of a bicycle project.
- Survey findings related to FHWA guidance: Results of an online survey to learn how many cities are building innovative bike projects, whether existing design guidance is adequate and how these projects are funded.
For questions or printed copies, contact [email protected]
Technical blog posts
Our blog regularly covers technical issues surrounding protected lane design and maintenance. A few examples:
What is a protected bike lane?
See our detailed definition, part of our style guide. You can also learn the basics about the concept on our Protected Bike Lanes 101 page.
Protected bike lane statistics
These facts and stats can help you make the case for the benefits of protected bike lanes.
Inventory of protected bike lanes
View and sort our inventory of protected bike lanes across the United States.
We keep a list of upcoming and past webinars about issues related to protected bike lanes and biking networks.
Stream, download and embed video from the Green Lane Project’s Vimeo page.
View and download pictures of protected bike lanes from our Flickr photostream.
Top photo, from a Dutch study tour, by Jonathan Maus/BikePortland.org.