We hope to provide a variety of resources for land managers as you get to know e-bikes, and grapple with where they should be allowed.
Electric Mountain Bike Policies
- Bureau of Land Management Information Bulletin on “Electronic Powered Bicycles on Public Lands”
- E-bikes are regulated as “off-road vehicles” as defined in 43 C.F.R. 8340.5.
- Read about the first Class 1 e-bike allowance on non-motorized trails in the San Juan National Forest.
- U.S. Forest Service Briefing Paper on “Managing E- Bikes on National Forest System Trails” (May 13, 2015) and U.S. Forest Service letter to Regional Foresters on “Electric Bikes and Trail Management” (March 24, 2016)
- E-bikes are motor vehicles, as defined in 36 C.F.R. 212.1.
- National Park Service definition of e-bikes (search under “motor vehicle”)
- E-bikes are motor vehicles as defined in 36 C.F.R. 1.4.
- Summary of state and federal eMTB regulations (with IMBA)
- State by State eMTB Inventory
Land Manager Handbook
New! The land manager handbook was developed in partnership with the bicycling industry and the U.S. Bureau of Land Management (BLM), in consultation with professional trail builders. It is intended to be a practical field resource for the planning, design, construction, maintenance, and management of electric mountain bike trails.
The above link takes the reader to a low-resolution version of the book, convenient for downloading. For a high-resolution version, please email [email protected]
We can make available a limited number of print versions to any land management agency, at no cost. To learn more or place an order, please email [email protected]
Land Manager Webinars
PeopleForBikes has been developing resources that answer many of the questions land managers may be facing as electric bike usage rises: what they are, where they are allowed, and what studies and management resources exist. Our intent is to facilitate understanding of e-bikes and decisions regarding their use and access.
We are hosting three free webinars geared toward land managers between November and January. Two time slots are offered for each webinar. We’re leaving plenty of time for Q&A and discussion, and want to learn more about the challenges and opportunities land managers face with regard to the management of electric bikes on public lands.
Webinar #1: eMTB 101 – Who’s Riding, Current Policies, and Resources
Wednesday, November 15, 9 – 10 a.m. & 12 – 1 p.m.
Webinar #2: eMTB Land Manager Handbook
Wednesday, December 6, 9 – 10 a.m. & 12 – 1 p.m.
Webinar #3: eMTBs: Current Issues and Partnership Opportunities
Wednesday, January 24, 9 – 10 a.m. & 12 – 1 p.m.
Best Management Practices for eMTB Trail Design
- Climbing grades
- Uphill flow
- Ascending turns
- Descending turns
- Single use trails
- Managing increased use
- Managing increased speed
- Fruita eMTB Study on User Perceptions (with the BLM)
- Survey of land managers on eMTBs (with IMBA)
- eMTB trail resource study (with IMBA) & Fact Sheet for IMBA’s eMTB Field Study
- Survey of riders on eMTBs (with IMBA, 2015)