We hope to provide a variety of resources for land managers as you get to know e-bikes, and grapple with where they should be allowed.
Electric Mountain Bike Policies
- Bureau of Land Management guidance on “Electronic Powered Bicycles on Public Lands”
- E-bikes are regulated as “off-road vehicles” as defined in 43 C.F.R. 8340.5.
- U.S. Forest Service guidance on “Electric Bikes and Trail Management”
- E-bikes are motor vehicles, as defined in 36 C.F.R. 212.1.
- National Park Service definition of e-bikes (search under “motor vehicle”)
- E-bikes are motor vehicles as defined in 36 C.F.R. 1.4.
- Summary of state and federal eMTB regulations (with IMBA)
- State by State eMTB Inventory
Best Management Practices for eMTB Trail Design
- Climbing grades
- Uphill flow
- Ascending turns
- Descending turns
- Single use trails
- Managing increased use
- Managing increased speed
- Fruita eMTB Study on User Perceptions (with the BLM)
- Survey of land managers on eMTBs (with IMBA)
- eMTB trail resource study (with IMBA) & Fact Sheet for IMBA’s eMTB Field Study
- Survey of riders on eMTBs (with IMBA, 2015)